Mexico's Pemex says all operations normal despite HQ blast
London (Platts)--1Feb2013/531 am EST/1031 GMT
Mexico's state-owned oil company Pemex said Friday its operations were
continuing as normal despite a blast at its Mexico City headquarters late
Thursday that killed 25 people and injured 101.
On its website, Pemex also said in a short statement that it would be
able to continue to make payments as usual.
"Pemex confirms that its production processes, and its response and
execution capacity will continue without irregularities," it said.
"As a result, all commitments with its financial and commercial
counterparties will be met in a timely and appropriate manner," it said.
Article continues below...
|Sign up to Oilgram News today.
Oilgram News brings fast-breaking global petroleum and gas news to your desktop every day. Our extensive global network of correspondents report on supply and demand trends, corporate news, government actions, exploration, technology, and much more.
There has still been no official cause given by Pemex or the Mexican
authorities for the blast that occurred in an annex of the HQ building.
Mexico's secretary of the interior Miguel Angel Osorio Chong told
reporters at the scene that investigations were underway into the cause,
not ruling out some form of attack.
"The authorities have all resources at their disposal to investigate and
determine the causes of the accident. [The president] issued instructions to
the authorities concerned to convene national and international experts to
help with the investigation," Osorio Chong said according to a transcript of
the news conference on the Pemex website.
"The purpose is very clear: The research should yield accurate, reliable
and robust information to learn the origin and causes of the accident."
Asked whether there was the possibility Pemex had been targeted by
terrorists, Osorio Chong said it would be irresponsible to speculate.
He added that the blast occurred at 3:40 pm local time in the
North Annex B-2 of the Pemex Administrative Center.
He said there was an explosion that "seriously affected the ground
floor, basement and mezzanine of the building and caused severe damage to
Most Pemex employees leave work at 4pm, he said.
President Enrique Pena Nieto arrived at the scene in the early evening.
Emilio Lozoya, Pemex's director-general, and other senior executives of
the company are in Asia to visit shipyards involved in rig construction.
Pemex had initially said on its Twitter account that as a "preventive
measure" the company was evacuating the tower because of a power outage.
Subsequent messages confirmed that there had been an explosion, with
people injured and damage to the building.
The 52-story Pemex tower, which dominates the annex and all the
surrounding neighborhood, is the second-tallest building in Mexico City.
--Stuart Elliott, email@example.com
--Edited by Jeremy Lovell, firstname.lastname@example.org