Platts Coal Trader, supplemented with Platts Coal Trader Analytics, is the only daily publication that can provide you with Platts OTC Broker Index, including CAPP barge; CAPP rail (CSX); PRB 8,800; and PRB 8,400, Platts US thermal coal export assessments, weekly physical US coal prices, plus weekly US stockpile numbers and forecasts that are available three months ahead of the EIA’s. It also gives you Platts’ daily assessments for US thermal coal exports, including FOB US East Coast, FOB USGC Eastern Coal, FOB USGC Western Coal, FOB Canada/USWC, Illinois Basin Coal, Northern Appalachia Coal, Central Appalachia Coal, and Rocky Mountain Coal. These price assessments and the included market intelligence on U.S. coal markets can help you keep up-to-date on who's buying, who's selling, and where the markets are heading.VIEW SAMPLE
Platts Coal Trader's 40th Anniversary
For the last 40 years, Platts Coal Trader has delivered a daily outlook of news and prices from the North America coal markets. A lot has changed since that time, but one thing that remains constant is Platts dedication to the coal industry. We are continually developing and improving our coverage to provide you with the essential intelligence your business needs to thrive and look forward to continuing to do so for the next 40 years.
Platts Coal Trader provides:
- The latest daily OTC prices for key US benchmark coals, including Central Appalachia barge and rail coal, and Powder River Basin coal
- What’s happening in the OTC markets, and why
- Daily US thermal coal export assessments (FOB US East Coast, Gulf Coast and West Coast) and dry bulk freight rate assessments
- Daily Atlantic (FOB US East Coast) metallurgical coal assessments
- Daily pricing assessments for US emissions allowances, including SOx and NOx
- Weekly prompt-quarter assessments of 19 different coal grades from the traditional US production basins, including Northern Appalachia, Central Appalachia, Illinois Basin, Powder River Basin and the Rocky Mountains
- Weekly US petroleum coke assessments
- News coverage of mine openings, closings and production, as well as US utility demand
- Reports on who’s in the market for coal, and what specifications they are seeking
Who Should Buy
Platts Coal Trader provides essential information for traders, risk managers, analysts and other professionals who need unbiased information for short- and long-term action and analysis.
Platts brings you all the price and industry information you need to make the best trading decisions and stay on top of the market. Platts Coal Trader, supplemented with Platts Coal Trader Analytics, helps you:
- Stay ahead by accessing critical weekly stockpile numbers and forecasts three months ahead of the EIA’s monthly figures
- Keep up with daily price fluctuations and market moves
- Find out what trades are occurring and the price and quantity
- Put the coal market into context with gas and oil prices and changes
- Hedge better with NYMEX prices and financial settlements
- Learn more about factors that affect the market, such as supply and demand dynamics, export market fluctuations, and market responses to these factors
- Find details about mergers, acquisitions, and new players
Coal markets are changing in ways no one could have imagined. To remain competitive, you need to know where coal markets stand. That's why subscribers to Platts Coal Trader receive:
- Weekly North American stockpile numbers and forecasts that are available three months ahead of the EIA’s
- The latest prices for key benchmark coals — NYMEX look-alike, eastern rail delivered, and two types of PRB – for the most heavily-traded forward months and quarters
- Daily pricing for tons and allowances for SO2 and NOx emissions
- Weekly physical US coal prices
- Platts US thermal coal export assessments
- An analysis of what happened in yesterday's OTC markets, and why
Price assessments include:
- CAPP barge
- CAPP rail (CSX)
- PRB 8,800
- PRB 8,400
- FOB US East Coast
- FOB USGC Eastern Coal
- FOB USGC Western Coal
- FOB Canada/USWC
- Illinois Basin Coal
- Northern Appalachia Coal
- Central Appalachia Coal
- Rocky Mountain Coal
To purchase Platts Coal Trader please contact our Sales team using the yellow button on the right hand side.
Coal Trader is delivered in PDF format via email. You also can download issues in PDF format at Platts.com.
Market Data - Coal
The price data listed in Platts Coal Trader is also available in data-point format for easy import and analysis. This is the most efficient, most reliable way to receive our industry-standard benchmark assessments.
For a modest additional cost, upgrade your subscription to include Platts Market Data – Coal and access the latest, most-accurate metals price assessments in data-point format. Platts Market Data – Coal also provides you with end-of-day assessments, third-party data, and a rolling 45-day historical database for key assessments. For further information, please contact us.
Gain access to past articles from back issues of Platts Coal Trader. These valuable resources will allow you to search for and analyze useful information and create your own customized reference on issues that interest you. You'll always find what you're looking for, because our archives are easily searchable — just enter key words, company names, a date range, or an industry, and specify which publications you wish to search. Add the Enhanced Market Report Service to your subscription today for a minimal fee, and you'll gain long-term benefits.
Many clients purchase multiple subscriptions to ensure their entire staff has access to Platts information. We'll work with you to make certain our distribution methods meet your specific needs. For details, contact us.