BY CONTINUING TO USE THIS SITE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR USE OF COOKIES. REVIEW OUR PRIVACY & COOKIE NOTICE
X


BHP Billiton opts against further exploration of two deepwater blocks in Trinidad

Austin, Texas (Platts)--11 Jan 2018 557 pm EST/2257 GMT


Australia's BHP Billiton said Thursday it will not proceed with the second phase of exploration activity in two of its deepwater blocks in Trinidad and Tobago.

The first phase of exploration for two blocks -- Trinidad and Tobago Deep Atlantic Area 7, off the twin-island nation's southeast coast, and 23 (b), off the northeast coast -- expired in the fourth quarter of last year.

"BHP and its co-venturers had completed all of the minimum exploration work obligations for these two PSCs and elected not to enter into the second phase of the exploration periods," the company said in a statement.

The company did not elaborate on why it opted out of the second phase.

BHP Billiton is one of the biggest holders of offshore acreage in Trinidad and has been conducting a major deepwater oil and gas drilling campaign in several of its blocks since 2016.

BHP earlier drilled its first two wells, one in Block TTDAA 5 and another in Block 23 (a), and it made the country's first deepwater gas discovery at the LeClerc well in TTDAA 5.

This year, BHP and its partners plan to drill two wells in TTDAA 5 and one well in TTDAA 14, subject to Trinidad and Tobago government approval.

--Laura Brooks, newsdesk@spglobal.com

--Edited by Annie Siebert, ann.siebert@spglobal.com




Copyright © 2018 S&P Global Platts, a division of S&P Global. All rights reserved.